Ah, the lovely lemon. Citrus fruits are so fragrant and add acidity and freshness to many dishes. Lemons are very versatile in the kitchen – from sweet to savory, they really pack a punch of flavor! Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which is a beneficial antioxidant. I love using the zest of citrus fruits in cooking. The zest contains concentrated flavor and it also adds eye appeal to many dishes. This cake is bright, fresh, and has just the right amount of tart lemon flavor. Delicious!
2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 6 Tablespoons water
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup almond milk or coconut milk
1/2 cup applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 lemon half
1 cup organic powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix flaxseed meal and water in a large bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes to “gel”.
3. Add coconut palm sugar, 2 T. lemon juice, lemon zest, milk, applesauce, and vanilla and stir well.
4. Mix flour, baking soda, and xanthan gum in a small bowl, then add to liquid and mix well.
5. Spoon into a non-stick 8 or 9-inch round cake pan and bake for 40 minutes.
6. Cool cake completely on wire rack. Combine powdered sugar and the juice from half a lemon. Mix to thoroughly combine (consistency should be a glaze). Pour over cake. Enjoy!